Thursday, February 05, 2009

Class of 2001

I love facebook. I think it can be a great tool and way to network (if done properly). It is also a way to catch up with/find friends from your graduating class. The other day it hit me, I have been out of high school for almost 8 years. 8 years is a long time. A lot can be accomplished. I started looking at what my classmates have accomplished (thanks to facebook) and I started with our class' facebook page.

They asked us to post what we had been up to since graduation is 50 words or less. This was my response: Ran away from life. Came back. Married an Eastside Grad (harass me later). Graduated. Found myself. Struggled. Found my true self. Landed a great job doing something out of the norm. Rediscovered old friends. Bought a house. Created life. Learned a lot about the “real world.”

I feel I have accomplished a lot. I have also grown up/matured a lot. I know who I am and I have goals and aspirations for my life.

I look at some classmates pages and I have to wonder if they have grown up at all. Pictures of them partying and being wasted. Is that really any way to live? Maybe in college (heck, I didn't even do that in college), but come on, we are 25, 26 years old. Isn't it time to grow up?

I am also amazed at the number of people who have had children. It astounds me how many people had kids outside of wedlock. I am not going to get on my soapbox, but yikes. Many people had them at young ages. I have to wonder, "Did the event in those drunken pictures lead to a night that created that child?" I am not criticizing, we all have our mistakes (I don't believe a child is a mistake), but we are 25, 26 years old, when will we grow up?

I also have discovered that the classmates that lead a sheltered life (due to their parents restrictions) went crazy when they hit college. Some have straightened out, some have not. Some have severed ties and relationships, some have rediscovered them.

I find it fascinating who is married to whom. I married an Eastside grad, but several married fellow DeKalb Class of 2001 grads. Several have also divorced. I have to wonder if they got married too young. I was married at 21 (young by some standards), but I know that I married the right man for the right reasons.

I also wonder about the people who seemed to have disappeared after graduation. Where are they now? Are they happy? Are they even alive?

Our class was lucky, we only lost 1 classmate (while in high school). I don't think we have lost anyone since. I know several of us have been stricken with illnesses or family issues, so I continue to pray.

A lot can be done in 8 years. I know that I am happy with where I am at, but I have to wonder if my other classmates are happy with their lives.

No comments: