Thursday, May 14, 2009

Gun Safety

This past week a one year old was shot in the face by his 3 year old brother. The mother stole the gun from her boyfriends house and isn't sure how the 3 year old obtained of the gun. The one year old is in the hospital and recovering from the incident.

This disturbs me. I am not against guns, I am against idiots possessing guns. Let me drag out my soapbox for a moment. If you are a gun owner, you have a responsibility to keep your family and children safe from incidents (like your child having access to the guns). Gun safes are a great way to prevent such situations. My family (the in-laws side) owns SEVERAL guns. When not being used to hunt, they are locked in a gun safe. The ammunition is also locked in a safe. It's not hard! Only the adults know the combination and my nieces are respectful of guns.

I feel there is a difference between being respectful about guns and being fearful. Growing up I was never around guns. Marrying into a hunting family, I used to be fearful. Not anymore. I don't carry a gun, but I do own one. It is an antique .22 that my grandmother Eaton owned and it's more sentimental than practical. We will be purchasing handguns this summer. I would like to be properly trained by the county trainer so that I can do survailence this summer for work. I know that I am ignorant about guns and am looking into classes. My nieces know more about guns than I do! They have been taking classes through 4-H for two years now and they are dead on target shooters! They know the proper use of guns and would never play with them (even if they knew they weren't loaded).

If you have a gun, PLEASE LOCK IT UP!

No comments: