Monday, November 05, 2007

Authority

My job comes with a lot of authority. I can handle that when it comes to the kids, parents, and most of my staff. I do have a problem exhibiting my authority over my older staff. I am guessing it comes from my belief in "respecting your elders."

I have been noticing some things about my older staff and anyone who knows who I am talking about knows this isn't a new thing. I have decided that I will not tolerate this persons attitude, remarks, etc any more. There was an incident this morning that I would have normally let slide (sure I would have vented to K in an email, but who doesn't) but it happened in front of a student and my older staff kept pursuing the matter after I politely said we would discuss it later. This person doesn't respect my authority because of my age, which is probably part of the reason I find it hard to stand my ground.

I raised several issues I have been having with my boss in hopes of guidance, but my boss is not a confrontational type person either. I know that as soon as I try to talk to the older staff on my own it will go in one ear and out the other. I don't want to pass this off to my boss, but I am afraid that is the only way I can get through to this person. I also know that if I have to go that route, the other person will respect me even less because I had to use someone else to get my point across.

Any suggestions?!?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

since you asked..."the other person will respect me even less because I had to use someone else" -- well, that IS part of your boss' job -- to support his staff. What about asking for a meeting w/ this person w/ your boss there, too -- but you do all the talking?

todd helmkamp said...

I ran into this some as a 24 year old managing Applebee's. There are some times you have to stop being polite (without being unprofessional). A certain bit of "ice" or "steel" in the tone, or a certain look can sometimes remind this person that you are in charge, not them. If you don't assert your authority, its only going to get worse. And I think that borrowing your boss' authority is a BIG mistake, as you will have lost even more control. My $.02