Monday, January 24, 2011

Fish Sauce

So I have been on the hunt for fish sauce all weekend. I have a Pad Thai recipe I want to try and it calls for fish sauce. I checked at Wal-Mart, but apparently they don't feel the need to carry it. So I looked at Kroger. They don't find it important either. I checked at Meijer this morning and low and behold, I found fish sauce. I read the ingredients, out of curiosity and discovered it is is anchovies, salt, and sugar. Ok, simple enough. Then I read the final line under the ingredients. Warning: Does contain fish. Well DUH! It's called FISH sauce. As a consumer I would be upset if my fish sauce didn't contain any fish!

Made me think off all the dumb people who have done stupid things that now require companies to list the obvious on their warning labels.

The first thing that comes to mind is the lady who spilled coffee in her lap and then sued McDonald's for her coffee being hot. Well, had they given her cold coffee she would have complained that it was cold! Coffee is hot, we all know this. Just because you are klutzy enough to dump it in your lap doesn't mean you should be able to sue!

The lady who recently fell into a mall fountain. Ok lady, your 15 minutes of "fame" are up! Heck, your theft wrap sheet has been made public. You were the one texting and walking. It's not like the giant fountain jumped out in front of you and swallowed you up! Sure, you're embarrassed, but why not just laugh at the situation instead of having the public drudge through your criminal records to prove you are an idiot?!

Some irons remind users to remove their clothes before ironing. I guess I thought most people already knew that....apparently not.

Liquid Plumber reminds it's users to not reuse the bottle for beverages. Ok, gotcha.

Windex tells us not to spray it in our eyes. I really don't know what to say to that one.

Arm and Hammer Scoopable Cat Liter wants us to know that their product is safe to use around cats....well, I'd hope so!

A child's size Superman Costume reminds the wearer that although the costume has a cape, it does not enable the wearer to actually fly. Crap! There goes my new idea on how to fly south at an inexpensive rate!

You know all of these dumb warning labels exists because someone was stupid enough to try something, got mad that it didn't work/or they hurt themselves and then decided to make a dollar or two off their stupidity.

Is our culture that stupid?

No comments: