Thursday, July 30, 2009

Can't Save Them All

I have learned that I can't save every student that crosses my path. Learning this hasn't stopped me from trying though. While I realize that I have been a bit jaded (this past school year) I need to believe that each student can be helped back onto the path to a productive life. I was reminded this morning that not every student will take (or want) the help that is offered to them.

Three years ago I had a 13 year old kid in my after school program. He was a handful! I always felt like I was banging my head against a wall when it came to him. Nothing seemed to work. I tried to help him in every way possible, but when he, and the family fought us every step of the way, there wasn't much we could do.

This morning I learned that he, along with a 23 year old male, sexual assaulted/beat up/raped a woman. He was arrested as a juvenile and then re-arrested as an adult due to the nature of the crime. I read the article and wanted to vomit. How does someone get so twisted (sick in the head, call it whatever you want) that they feel that is ok to do? Furthermore, what is a 23 year old doing being buddy buddy with a 16 year old? My former student now faces 20 years in prison as an adult and frankly, I hope he gets what he deserves. I know we have tried to utilize EVERY county resource with him and his family and it is not working. Maybe some time behind bars will allow him to realize the errors of his ways.....unfortunately, I doubt it will.

It is sad to give up on someone, but my heart sank a little this morning and I have to wonder if anything will work for him. Please pray for him, the other male involved and more importantly the female they assaulted.

No comments: