Thursday, March 25, 2010

He's 2!

2 years ago today I was sitting in Auburn OBGYN with a heart rate monitor strapped to my large stomach. I was 2 weeks overdue and miserable!!

I can't believe that 2 years has passed since then. You'd never know that TJ took his dear ole sweet time coming into this world! For those of you who don't know, his delivery was horrible.

I went in on a Tuesday night to spend the night and be induced. Well, when they came in to check me in the morning I had went into labor on my own. Keep in mind that I did this without any pain meds. I like the idea of a baby being born without the chance of any unnecessary drugs in their system. I labored from 6am till 9:30pm when TJ finally decided to come out (thanks to the help of Dr. C.) About 9pm my nurse mid-wife (who I LOVE) tried to do a vacuum extraction (her very first one in like 565 births). It failed. TJ was stuck! His heart rate was dropping and I kept forgetting to breath (it's easier to do than you think!) Turns out TJ had his umbilical cord in his hand and that same hand up by his eye. His elbow was above his head, so when he actually came out, he came out elbow first. My nurse mid-wife was afraid they would have to do a C-section to get him out, so she called in Dr. C. I remember Dr. C looking at the heart rate monitor and examining me and saying, "We have no time." The OR staff was actually in the hallway ready to jump in and just cut me open in the delivery room if needed. He did a kind of reverse Heimlich move on me and out popped (seriously, I heard a pop) TJ. He had a gnarly black eye he gave himself, but other than that he was fine. I didn't realize how stressful the situation was for my nurse mid-wife till the next day. She blames her first grey hair on TJ. She also told me that TJ was her first vacuum extraction and the fact that it didn't work really scared her. I truly believe that TJ is here today because of her and her awesome mid-wifery abilities.

It amazes me to look at my 2 year old and remember how tiny he was when he was born. I was thinking on my way to work and I thought, "Oh my goodness. He made it to two. We really had no clue what we were doing when we brought him home, but he has survived till 2!" I can't believe that the booger who runs around the house terrorizing the dog actually came out of me. I am amazed at how God chose to create childbirth and pregnancy. It just amazes me! What really makes me giggle is imagining that at one point, Ayron fit inside his mother!

No comments: