Wednesday, March 03, 2010

Too Connected

Do you ever wonder if there is such a thing as being “over connected?” Between Twitter, MySpace, Facebook, YouTube, Email, it seems that we know exactly what everyone is doing, the moment they do it. We can use our cell phones to text, email, update status, locate places, and make calls! I can even blog from my phone. We are all interconnected thanks to technology.

Sure, used in moderation each of those afore mentioned sites are great, but they can take over your life. Like I said, I admit to being a Facebookaholic. It is a great tool to connect with family that lives in OK, MI, SC, WA, TX, etc. We can share pictures and just know how life is going with everyone. It’s kind of like a mini family reunion without the torturous picture taking session at the end (Come on all you Eaton’s you know what I am talking about. I think Jacque even made a whole FB photo album of the pictures!). But it can take over aspects of your life.

Seriously take a look at how many “friends” or “followers” you have. How many of those people do you actually call up or talk to (face to face) on a weekly basis? Do you really care what the “popular” people from high school are up to now? Will it make your life any better to know what they are doing this very instant? I’m not saying it can’t be a good tool to reconnect with old friends, but just take a genuine look at your “friend” list and discover who really matters. Who are the people you interact with face to face on a weekly basis? Which one of your friends really cares about you? Once you know that, work on developing and nurturing your friendship, because if Facebook/MySpace/Twitter/YouTube were to “die” they would still be your friend.

I used to rush home from work and check Facebook to see if anyone had beaten my Farkle score. In the grand scheme of life, does it really matter? I realized that I was choosing to spend time on the computer instead of time watching my child grow. I felt guilty, but have made changes. I check my email once when I am at home and play one game of Super Farkle. I actually play the game with TJ. He sits on my lap and will scream, “BLOCKS” (he calls the dice blocks) until the game loads. We turn it into a learning time. He loves numbers and will point to a “block” and tell me how many dots are on the dice. I am not trying to brag, but every night he astounds me with his increasing knowledge. He will count each dot. Cracks me up and also scares me. What if he is smarter that I am by the time he is 4?

So I’m still connected, but not obsessed. The fact that I am blogging my thoughts through Blogger which will automatically upload this to a “Note” in Facebook shows that I am connected. But I will admit that it is nice to spend the occasional weekend with the cell phone shut off, the laptop stowed away, the television off and the Ipod uncharged.

No comments: