Sunday, May 09, 2010

The Forgotten Mothers

I was chatting with a friend yesterday about Mother's Day. We both agreed that Mother's Day had gotten a bit blown out of proportion and turned more into a "Hallmark" holiday than anything else. She asked me if it was odd for me to buy someone else a Mother's Day present when I am a mother myself. I thought about it and to me it isn't odd. But that is not the part of the conversation that stuck with me. As I thought about our conversation I realized that several of my friends are mothers without haven given birth. So this is my "Happy Mother's Day" to them. I am not going to name them by name, but by initials.

C.B.: You are a mother. Each year you help mother/teach/inspire 30 kids to become great learners for the rest of their lives. You spend countless hours planning and teaching each child. You recognize their learning styles and help them become who you know they can be. You deal with problematic students on a daily basis and yet you keep going. For that, you are a mother. You help with your 5 nieces and nephews. For that, you are a mother. You care about the students your husband coaches. For that, you are a mother. So Happy Mother's Day to you!

D.Y.: I know I speak for several mothers when I say, thank you for helping us keep our sanity when it comes to our own children. You are always willing to help nanny our kids when we are at our breaking point. You take our kids so we can have a weekend away. You let our kids sleep in your bed. You take our kids trick or treating (so you can have a cut of the candy ;) ).For that, you are a mother. You deal with kids all year long during play/musical productions. You teach them how to dance, act, and sing. For that, you are a mother. You are more of a mother than you realize. Happy Mother's Day.

N.R.: You let me crash at your place in college. You provided me a place to escape a witch of a roommate. You stood up for me when said witch roommate turned me in for having a weapon (it was a freaking pocket knife!) and the police came and all that happened due to it. For that, you are a mother. I couldn't have made it through labor without you. You stood by my side the enter time (I am still surprised you didn't pass out!). You listened to me call you every name under the book through the pushing process, and yet you just calming told me, "You have to breathe. Do it for Taylor." For that, you are a mother. You helped me become a mother and helped me kick our mother (gee, guess I really didn't need to use initials on this one since that gave it away) out of the room. I see how you play with Tj and encourage him to read. For that, you are a mother. You help "mother" college students through their research projects and papers. For that, you are a mother. So Happy Mother's Day!

No comments: