Friday, May 14, 2010

Not Sure

I am not sure what to think about a situation that accrued earlier this week at work. Before I tell you what happened, let me give those of you who have no clue what I do, some background knowledge.

I run a school for juveniles who are in the court system and have been suspended or kicked out of school. My program prevents the judge from having to use tax payer dollars to lock a student just so they can get their education. At a cost of $200 a day for lock up (per kid) times the 90 (or so) students I have had over the last 3 years, I have helped save the county a lot of money. In order to keep a full house of kids (my program is run out of an older ranch house that has had some conversions done) I will take school referrals (kids who are just in trouble at school, but not legally). This helps the schools out because they can still count the students in their head count (and receive the money from the state for the kid), but they don't have to deal with their problematic behavior. I take these kids at NO COST to the schools. I have a great working relationship with all the schools in the county I work and I LOVE MY JOB. That being said, here is what happened.

I had some school officials just drop in, unannounced. They had never been here before and thought they'd stop in to check on their student. I am sure I looked like a bum. I have been fighting a bug and wore jeans and a hoodie that day to work since I didn't think I would be seeing anyone official. So, I'm sure my laid back apparel through them for a loop. Like I said, my program is run out of a small house. It isn't much, but we make it work. If I need anything, I have to write grants for the money. I don't mind, sure I may complain, but it keeps me busy. So after taking a look around, one of the officials said, "Oh, so this is it?" It was said with a nasty derogatory tone and they were standing right next to me. I must have had a shocked look on my face because they immediately said, "Oh, you weren't supposed to hear that." What did they think was going to happen? I was standing right next to them. I bit my tongue and replied, "Well, we are small, but we are able to accomplish things with these kids that the public schools can't. We truly are the definition of 'No Child Left Behind.' AND we do it all without any financial help from your school. So far this year, we have helped 38 kids, 5 of them being your districts students. We aren't much, but we can work miracles because we give the kids a chance and we work with them, not against them."

So, was my reply to snotty? I was just appalled at their comment and had to defend myself. So many of the kids I get have been written off by their schools and their parents. They just want someone to give a crap about them and take an interest in their lives. We do that, we show them that someone cares and is willing to advocate for them. What I really wanted to say was, "Look here, you guys write off these kids and we take them in. We take in the kids you refuse to help and all the baggage they carry. We work miracles when you can't and we don't even charge you. You should be happy we exist." But I didn't. I still have to wonder if my response was appropriate.

I have to wonder if administrators see me as young and a bit juvenile myself. I am 26 (I actually had to stop and do the math in my head) years old and have been doing this job for three schools years now. I truly think I have grown more in this last year, and I know I have more growing to do. I have to wonder when people will stop seeing me as a young, novice teacher and more like an experience professional that can handle the toughest kids and help them succeed.

I am excited to say that a local guidance counselor "went to bat" for me during a meeting and praised our program. It made my heart swell. It was nice to hear someone verbalize that my program is working. The judge is happy with my program (he is the brain child behind the original program) and that also makes me happy. This Thursday Senator K is actually coming to visit our program and see just what it is that we do here. I look forward to showing him how we are able to work miracles with the students who have been left behind or just plain forgotten.

No comments: