Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Names

Ayron and I are currently trying to decide on names. We know we have a loooong time before we have to make a final decision, but it's fun to browse and see what other people view as decent names. Seeing as how Ayron and I both have unique names, at times, we find ourselves shying away from unique names. I could never find any school supplies with "Carma" on them. But at other times, we like the uniqueness of our names.

Ayron got his unique spelling because at the time of his birth, 3 other boys (of all similar weight, length, etc) were born and they were all named Aaron.

I was given my name by my father. During my mom's pregnancy with me, her mother passed away. My father chose to name me after her. You don't find to many Carma's around! I have only ever personally met one other Carma who spelled it the way I spell mine. When I looked up the meaning of the name, I found out it is Hebrew and stands for "garden" or "orchid."

We just knew from the start we were going to name Taylor, Taylor. We actually chose that name regardless of the gender of the baby. Once we knew we were having a boy, I knew I wanted to use my family's name "Josiah" for a middle name. It worked out really well because we call Taylor "TJ" for short. TJ happened to be Ayron's grandfather's name. Grandpa TJ had been at Ayron's house the night he passed away. He just didn't feel right and knew that something was about to happen. He called Ayron and his brother over and hugged and kissed them goodbye. Sadly, TJ passed away as Tom was driving him to the hospital. That memory will stay with Ayron forever. Thus, we just knew that Taylor Josiah was the perfect name for child #1.

I have been browsing through some name banks on line and am amazed at the names people will give their children. Here are some funny ones. Please keep in mind that I find these names odd. If you have one of these names, I am not saying you are odd, heck I probably don't even know you!

La-a: Supposed to be pronounced "Ladasha." I would be the smart alec that would call her "La hyphen a."

Cube: While my mother was doing her OB rotation many years ago, a couple wanted to name their new son after the boy on the Mickey Mouse show. They wanted Cubby, Mom couldn't convince them to change the spelling. So to this day, that boy adult has the name of a 6 sided square.

Nevaeh: Ok, so I know it's "heaven" spelled backwards, but I have this theory. If you name your child anything like Angel, or Nevaeh, they will live up the opposite meaning of their name!

Alf: So not kidding. Found this while searching for boy names. Seeing this name makes me immediately picture a short brown fuzzy alien. It also makes me want to run and hide my cat before he gets eaten.

America: I have to wonder what spawned this choice for the parents. Were they afraid their child would forget the name of our country? Or maybe they have a thing about naming their children after the state they were conceived in. No joke, I know someone who did that.

Bertha: Really? Who in this day and age would name their daughter Bertha? It's one of those old fashioned names, like Betty.

Early: Apparently it is a boy's name. Wouldn't it be ironic if Early took 41 weeks to arrive?

Easter: Do they also have a child named Christmas and Thanksgiving?

Fanny: Makes me think of the joke we have for my mom's side of the family. When you get older, you develop the "Fennell Fanny."

Icy: Really? Someone named their daughter this? Was she born during a blizzard?

Pleasant: I'm willing to bet he is the teacher's worst nightmare.

No comments: