Monday, June 30, 2008

Avoding 8 and 1

Twas the weekend for accidents in the Reeves family. On Saturday afternoon my mother in law was driving my niece home. At the intersection of State Road 8 and State Road 1, a car pulled out in front of my mother in law and headed right at her. My mother in law barely had time to think about moving her foot to the brake. After hitting the person, my mother in law realized it was as older lady. The older lady got out of her car and told JoEllen, "I can't stay, I'll be late for church." She proceeded to get into her beaten up car (my mother in law drives a new Ford Explorer) and took off. They got her plate number and called the police. They found her driving her smushed car around Butler. The Explorer is ok, she just needs some minor repairs. I just cracked up when they told me that the other person left the scene because she didn't want to be late to church. I think that God would forgive that tardy, but that's just my thought.

The more I thought about it, it hit me. 3 years ago, at that same intersection we had a horrible accident. My brother in law and his family (wife and three girls) were driving home in their Durango when a box truck pulled out in front of them. Phil tried to break, but the road was slippery because it had just rained. He knew that if he hit the box truck head on, they would slide under the truck and basically rip the top of the Durango off and possibly decapitate himself. He made the conscious effort to aim the suv for the wheels and thankfully everyone was ok. They were shaken and bruised, but nothing huge. I think I will avoid that intersection for awhile.

No comments: