Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Struggling Economy

It's no surprise or shock to hear that our economy sucks (can't really think of a better word). I was watching the news this morning and learned that even the Red Cross "Disaster Relief" organization has run out of money. They ran out! There is no money left to help the Iowa flood victims.

We have family that is dealing with the flooding and it looks like they will be one of the lucky families who only has water in their basement. They have power and she is able to work from home (ironically enough she works for the power company). They didn't have to evacuate but several of their family friends did.

Here comes my soap box...get ready for it....

We have a large group of people who need financial help. Their houses have been destroyed, crops ruined, lives erased. The Red Cross is trying, but without money, they can't be much help. Everyone says, "I wish I could help but...." What I find ridiculous are the political promises to help victims that never come true. How many millions of dollars have been spent so far on political campaigns? I think I read some place that Clinton and Obama raised at least $25 million a piece. Wouldn't that money be better spent helping fellow Americans instead of signs, t-shirts, and arena fees? Wouldn't the press be better? Look at the politician who is not afraid to put on grubby clothes and sandbag with the "regular" folk. I think I would be more apt to vote for someone who I could actually see working and physically trying to help instead of someone who is dressed in a suit promising to help. Put your money where your mouth is and spend some of that campaign money to help your fellow man.

Ok, putting the soapbox back in the closet, at least for now.

No comments: