Thursday, March 05, 2009

Pat on the back

Ok, first a bit of a back story. The way my program (my job) has been funded in the past has changed, thanks to House Bill 1001 (don't get me started). I was allowed (if you call it a privilege) to write a huge grant basically begging and pleading, "Please keep funding my program."

Tuesday my boss called to tell me that my grant was approved and that I had a 40 page document to read. I sat down and attempted to read the document yesterday. I was so confused. I thought it was just all legal jargon I didn't understand since I am not a criminal justice person. Turns out it confused the judge too (so I don't feel so bad now!).

We met with the judge about the grant and we decided to say "Thanks but no thanks." There were so many hoops to jump through, it just wouldn't be worth it. The judge then proceeded to tell me, "I do not want to lose this program or Carma, what do I need to do to keep the doors open." I informed him that I am waiting to hear back on another grant I wrote, etc. My boss and the judge talked and we discovered there is some unused money in the judges budget for juveniles. Guess what? I get it!! This ensures that my doors will stay open thru at least next school year. That means, I have a job!!! I was nervous for a while and I was praying for guidance and strength. Right now this job is perfect. It is semi-flexible and I am able to do what I need to do in order to be a wife and mother and still have a successful program.

It was nice to get that "pat" on the back from the judge. So often I wonder if I am even doing things correctly. My job deals a lot with criminal justice and the courts, and that is not my background. I do education and I just kind of guess on the criminal justice stuff and hope no one calls me out on it. I admitted that to the judge and he said, "Well, you had me fooled! I thought you knew a lot of criminal justice stuff." I told him that I am learning and I am very interested in going back to school (during the summer of course) to learn more (scoring some brownie points with the judge and my boss!!) about the criminal justice system. That seemed to really please him.

I see this as an answer to a prayer. In an economy where people are struggling to maintain or even find a job, I just found out that mine is safe for another year.

Thank you Lord for allowing me the opportunity to stay employed and the opportunity to hopefully reach this students the school labels as "lost causes." I pray that you continue to guide me and bless me with patience as I struggle to connect with these students. Amen.

1 comment:

todd helmkamp said...

Good for you. God is rewarding your patience and perseverance, and the fact that you truly do care about those kids!