Monday, September 28, 2009

Older House Curse Part II

Let me start off by saying, "Blech!" Saturday morning my brother in law and father in law came to work on an estimate for fixing our leaky bathroom. Since they don't have x-ray vision and we wouldn't let them just start ripping into the flooring, they had to guess what the problem was. By guess I mean, make educated assumptions based on a process of elimination.

After a couple of guesses, they were able to figure out that our problem is one of two things. To be honest, I have no clue what those two things are! I didn't ask. I think I would rather not know. Send me to the store to pick out paint and tiles and I'll be good! Phil also decided to take up the carpet in the hallway (where the water leaks up through the foundation) and discovered that the padding is moldy. I could have told you that, but that's another story. So they were curious and cut two small patches out of two walls in the bathroom and guess what, mold. Freaking fantastic. No wonder my allergies have been nasty even with daily meds!

I now get to pick out new paint for the bathroom, tile for the bathroom, a color of paint for the vanity (just going to fix it and paint it), and now carpet. I am glad that this is all getting done, but blech. I have no clue what color or "theme" to go with in our "new" bathroom. Any suggestions?

So they are now going to have to take out our toilet, washer, dryer, vanity, and cupboard. Then rip out the drywall, take down the rest of the wallpaper, jack hammer up the slab. Then they must fix the pipe (the only part of the ordeal our insurance won't cover bc they say it is a maintenance problem. How I am supposed to maintain a pipe buried in cement is beyond me!). After the pipe is fixed, new cement will be poured and then we have to wait for it to cure. While we are waiting we will paint and redo the vanity. Then comes the new paint, window treatment, tile. Then back comes the washer, dryer, and toilet. Then the vanity and cupboard will be re-installed. Then comes carpet. Blech, just thinking about it makes me tired!

So this morning I get a call from a lady at our insurance office. This was not the person we normally deal with. She wanted to know where our estimate was. I informed her that after our contractor looked at it, he decided to call our flooring company to get a better estimate (they are at my house right now). She seemed annoyed that we hadn't sent our estimate yet. Well, we wanted it to be accurate. I told her as soon as I got the estimate I would fax them a copy. She was genuinely annoyed that I couldn't fax her an estimate now. I didn't know what to say so I just said, "As soon as my contractor gets the estimate written, I will send it to you!" You would think they would be happy about not having to cut me a check!

No comments: