Monday, September 21, 2009

Rest In Peace Mark Wilmes

This weekend the DeKalb High School Class of 2001 lost another classmate. Mark Wilmes was killed in a two car accident in Lagrange County on Saturday. After over correcting, his car was in the path of an oncoming car, and the collision occurred.

This is the second classmate that we have lost (that I know of, and I hope there aren't any more). We lost Jerry C. the summer before our Senior year in a car accident, and now Mark has passed as well.

While I didn't really "know" Mark, I know we had a few classes together. We attended the same school from 1st grade through graduation. I was driving to work this morning when I heard about the accident (on the radio), and I immediately felt my stomach churn. I can only imagine the loss his family and friends are feeling at this moment. No one wants to bury their child, and now they must. He was 8 credits shy of graduating from IPFW with his mechanical engineering degree. I think that broke my heart a little more. To be so close, and then not be able to complete something you have worked so hard for.

I didn't really know Mark, but I do remember a funny story. We had Mr. Howard for Math our 6th grade year. I think it was 4th or 5th period. Mark always had several questions, and we all know that Mr. Howard's patience level was not the greatest. One day, after seeing Mark's hand shoot up for the millionth time Mr. Howard nicknamed Mark "Question Mark." I don't know why, but that is the first memory that popped into my head this morning when I heard about the accident.

What do you remember about Mark or Jerry? Am I correct in saying that those are the only 2 classmates we have lost?

No comments: