Friday, August 20, 2010

10 Years

This fall ABC will be premiering a show called "My Generation." I saw a preview for the show last night and this is what I pulled off of ABC's website.

"What a difference ten years can make. In 2000, a documentary crew follows a disparate group of high schoolers from Greenbelt High School in Austin, TX as they prepare for graduation, then revisits these former classmates ten years later as they return home to rediscover that just because they're not where they planned doesn't mean they're not right where they need to be.

These students couldn't wait to graduate and head out into the real world. But the world they were entering got very real very fast. As these classmates return home to revisit their old hopes for their future, they'll discover that, even if you don't get exactly what you thought you wanted out of life, it's not too late to get what you need."
I know that it wasn't really a true "documentary." Heck, the site has the cast (there's the magic word) listed with their real names next to the character's (another magic word) names.
It got me thinking. This summer I will have been out of school for 10 years. I can't help but wonder where we all ended up. Sure we are all on each other's facebook "friends list." I think most of us "friend" each other out of curiosity. I know that I am not where I thought I'd be 10 years after graduation! Heck, up until January of my senior year I was planning on NROTC at Purdue. Thought the Navy would give me a chance to see the world. Then I thought I would just travel and see where life took me. I certainly didn't expect to be married, living 1 mile from where I grew up, getting ready for child #2. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my life. I just never thought it would actually happen for me.
The other day I was driving past a cemetery where a classmate was recently buried. I saw another classmate wandering the cemetery obviously looking for our passed classmates grave. I thought to myself, "Odd. I never saw those two ever hang out in high school." 10 years ago, neither one of those people would have predicted that they are where they are now. The one classmate certainly didn't plan to die. I am pretty sure the other one hadn't planned on scouring the cemetery for a dead classmates grave.
10 years seems like such a long and short amount of time. I think a lot of my classmates grew up (by that I mean "matured). But I know that several haven't. I have to wonder when that group will realize that staying out till all hours of the night getting drunk in dark bars is not the true sign of adulthood. Will they ever grow up, who knows. All I know is that I never pictured myself where I am now.

No comments: