Friday, August 20, 2010

Working Mom

I have been asked a couple of times now, "Since you are pregnant with number 2, are you going to quit your job?" Um, no! Why should I? I am tired of be made to feel like crap because I have chosen to be a working mom.

What is wrong with being a working mom? My husband is a stay at home father (his current job allows him to work from home 75% of the time), so it's not like my children will be spending 12 hours a day in daycare. When we do need a sitter, it is usually a grandparent or my best friend who will watch them. I grew up in a household with a working Mother. So did my mother. Millions of kids have grown in in homes where the mother worked outside of the homes. Those people are no more "worse off."

If we could financially afford it, I might chose to stay home for awhile, but I like having my own identity aside from being TJ's "Mommy." I was Carma long before TJ came along and I will be Carma long after TJ moves out of the house. I shouldn't have to give up my passion and dreams simply because we chose to start a family.

Don't get me wrong, I love my children dearly. I would do anything for them. That being said, it doesn't mean that I don't need a break from TJ/them (come March) periodically. It is nice to come to work for 8 hours a day and not have to worry about changing diapers or hiding "blankie." After work, I love going home and walking into the house and hearing TJ squeal, "MOOOOMMMMYYYY!"

I appreciate the fact that Ayron is currently able to work from home. That he is so patient and kind with TJ. I also can realize that when I get home, Ayron needs a break from being "TJ's Daddy" so he can just be Ayron.

Do I wish at times that I could stay at home, sure. Think of all the little things I could cross off my "to do" list. The office might finally get cleaned. The closet would get organized. I could scrapbook some of TJ's pictures. We could have more play dates with TJ's friends. But I like having my "adult time" at work. Even if I do work with juvenile delinquents, at least I don't have to change their diaper.

No comments: