Thursday, September 22, 2011

Domesticus

Domesticus is the nickname my dad has recently given me. I am not sure why everyone is so surprised by my ability to cook or be crafty. Both of my parents can cook and I have always been creative. Thanks to my recent fascination with pinterest.com, I am able to expand my recipe options and craft projects. I LOVE it.



I have greatly expanded my recipe collection (ask I type this, my 4" recipe binder is open on one side of the laptop while a pile of new recipes sits on my right, patiently waiting to be added to the collection). I enjoy trying new foods and making Ayron (he is a meat and potatoes type of guy) try them too. We have discovered quinoa and LOVE it. I just got sick of cooking the same 5 things over and over again and took matters into my own hands, no biggie.



I have also decided to make most (if not all) of our Christmas gifts this year. Why not? It's cheaper and more heartfelt. I can personalize it and truly make the present fit the person. I am excited to start buying my supplies and get working on those projects.



I also cracked out the sewing machine. My sewing machine used to be my Grandmother Reese's machine. My grandfather bought it for her 2 months before he passed (if my date calculations are correct....the receipt was still in the box). My mom helped me get it all set up and re threaded with the proper color thread (I still can't do that on my own!). So last night, I began my latest project. A blanket for Miss Isabella. I have never quilted anything in my life. My blanket making abilities encompass those "no sew" tie blankets and that is it. I decided to take the semi easy route (like my Dad always says, "Work smarter, not harder."). I found pink and brown (well, Ayron found them) bandannas that match Isabella's room. I am making them the front of the blanket. Last night I (Ok, ok. Mom came over and kinda hijacked my project and did all the sewing....I think it killed her that I was just going to wing it and see what happened) sewed the top panel. I am going to attempt the batting and backing tonight....we'll see how far I get!

No comments: