Thursday, January 21, 2010

Really? Seriously? Come on now, really?

So I decided to have a drug screen day today at work. Since I have two males students, I called a male officer from my other office to come over and do the screen.

I have one student who was "dirty" for his last screen and before being taken into the bathroom he was asked, "What are you going to test positive for this time?" The student admitted to smoking marijuana three days ago. I immediately got mad and went off. I usually don't "go off" on my students, but this kid has bugged me from day one. After a lecture from myself, the other teacher and the officer the kid looked at me and in all sincerity and said, "So I should quit smoking weed?"

I laughed. I didn't mean to laugh, but I did. It was the most absurd thing to have been said at my "school" in awhile and it caught me off guard. How am I supposed to react to that? I am still sitting at my desk shaking my head, trying to figure out this kids thought process.

I told him, "Look, not only is it illegal, but you are already in trouble with the law, why do you want to see how far you can push it? The judge gets to decide your fate and you already have one dirty screen on your file, soon to be two. You can try adding a third if you want, but I promise you, you will not like the judges decision."

Days like today make me love my job! I am serious. I would never get to deal with this kind of silliness in a public school.

No comments: