Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Good "Old Fashioned" Music

I put old fashioned in quotes because I know that cd's aren't old fashioned, but to those of us who grew up during the 90's and experienced the thrill of buying your first cd and are now familiar with iTunes, cd's seem like a thing of the past.

I knew that I wanted to purchase some music today. I enjoy music by a certain band (no need to name the band for the purpose of the blog) and they had a new cd released today. I debated between iTunes and just going to Wal-Mart and purchasing an actual cd. Something tangible I could hold as opposed to some files on my computer. I decided on buying the actual disk.

I like having something to hold, after all I spent my hard earned money, I should be able to actually hold whatever it is that I purchase. I like to look at the cd insert, read the lyrics, the "thank you's" written by the band, etc. I like to have the cd in my car and the songs on my ipod (which lives on the iHome in my living room).

I eagerly got back to my office and opened the cd (I am finishing a grant today and music is essential to my grant writing success) and was instantly disappointed. The cd insert didn't have the lyrics. I like the lyrics. I like to read through them and try to figure out what inspired the songs. So with no lyrics in the cd insert, I have to wonder if I would have been better off just buying the cd in iTunes. I would have saved 1 cent by buying it through iTunes. Oh well....so what do you think? Do you use iTunes or do you buy actual cd's?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

For old fogies like me, tho, nothing will beat the 12x12 canvas of LP jackets that leave all kinds of room for the wonderful artwork!! LOL

Plus, I'll never forget the first time I pulled a Christmas LP and little Ben at the time, asks me -- "Where did you get that BIG CD??"

- Aunt L