Friday, April 30, 2010

Another Sleepless Night

Last night I was absent minded listening to the news while I was cooking dinner. I discovered that they were talking about a former student of mine. Thank goodness for my DVR because I was able to "rewind" and listen again. She had been missing since Monday evening. I immediately called my staff and alerted them and started brainstorming. Who could she be with? Where would she have gone? Etc.

I formulated some ideas and called the Auburn Police Department and informed them of who I was and gave them my "ideas."

I was up all night wondering where she could be and what made her think that leaving home would solve any problems she was having. I racked my brain trying to think of anything she could have said while she was in my program that would lead us to her. Needless to say, I didn't sleep.

This morning I learned that she had been found and was safe and all was well.

It's events like this that make my job difficult. I love my job, I get to work with so many interesting students. Yeah, I get pain in the bottoms who can be problematic, but what teacher doesn't? Every student I take in, I become emotionally attached to. Obviously they need help and to know that someone cares about them or they wouldn't have made it to my program. I get to know them in a different manner than their public school teachers would have the opportunity to. I become emotionally invested in their lives and I didn't realize how much it got to me until last night. I was worried all night like she was my daughter. I was pacing the house and racking my brain.

I love my job and the crazy kiddos that come with it, but I could do without the worrying and sleepless nights!

No comments: