Thursday, April 15, 2010

Odd Recipe

Ok, today's odd recipe is brought to you by Carma Eaton's (my maternal grandmother) recipe box.

Chocolate Sauerkraut Cake
1/2 C. margarine
1 1/2 C. sugar
3 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
2 C. sifted flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 C. cocoa
1 C. water
1 C. sauerkraut, drained, rinsed, and chopped fine
Cream margarine and sugar. Beat in eggs, one at a time; add vanilla. Sift all dry ingredients together. Add to mixture alternately with water. Beat well after each addition. Stir in sauerkraut. Pour into greased and floured 13x9" baking pan. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 40 minutes. Cool in pan. Frost with any favorite creamy chocolate frosting.
So, anyone out there brave enough to try this recipe? I texted my mom and aunt when I found this and my smart alec mother texted back: Must be an Amish barn raising special? Feeds 144? Then uses 'wind' to blow walls into place.
My aunt just replied to my text (as I was writing this) and said: Ewwwww! My mom loved sauerkraut! It just stunk up the house 4 us.
I did find a recipe for a coca cola cake though. I think I might attempt that.

1 comment:

Emily said...

You should try it! I've never heard of adding saurkraut to cake, but I do make a zucchini chocolate cake that calls for shredded zucchini. It's extremely moist and delicious! I would assume the saurkraut adds moisture too, but maybe also a bit of a tang? Who knows? It could be delicious! Try it and let me know. :)