Thursday, April 15, 2010

Learning As I Type

I have been typing my way through my grandmother's old recipes. I have been texting with my aunt and mom throughout the process to clarify things, etc.

In my older post I wrote about how the term "nutmeats" made my giggle like a teenage boy. Immature, I know, but come one, it's a silly term. I got the following text from my cousin this morning (a 17 year old boy, er....young man): Mom was telling me about your recipe card adventures, and when she said 'nutmeats,' my first thought was 'calf fries?' But they're not sold in stores!

For those of you who don't know what calf fries are....look it up. The reason my cousin thought this is because he currently lives in Vinita, Oklahoma. Vinita boasts the largest calf fry festival.

I then discovered that the name "Kirsch" was written at the top of several of the recipe cards. So I texted my aunt (she has a faster texting response time than my mom). While I was awaiting her reply, I ventured over to google and discovered three things. Krisch is a curtain rod company, it is also used in the making of swiss cheese/fondue, and it is also a hot dog company. My aunt texted me back and informed me that Grandma Carma worked for Kirsh Company for 27 years. They were a local family-owned, worldwide curtain rod company. They supplied curtain rods to the world. I'm pretty sure that I knew this, but for someone reason I was thinking Grandma worked at a light bulb factory.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ben says "Well, apparently the light bulbs weren't coming on in her head!"

You've been busted! lol

Aunt L