Sunday, June 13, 2010

Adventures in Soap Making

I knew you could make your own laundry soap, but I had never tried it. Due to sensitive skin, I have to buy the All "Free and Clear" detergent and that can be costly with as much laundry as I do (Husband, 2 year old, and a dog create a lot of laundry). I knew my sister in law made her own soap and a lady my mom knows makes her own as well. My mom brought home some soap for me to try and I loved it. It doesn't have the dyes or perfumes that cause me to break out in hives.

We had to go to Rural King this morning to get something for the dog, so I decided to get the supplies needed to make my own soap. Here is how is broke down cost wise to make roughly 30 gallons of laundry soap.

Arm & Hammer Washing Soda $3.29
Fels Naptha Bars (we bought 6) $7.74
20 Mule Borax Laundry Booster $3.99

I also bought 2 large buckets for $2.99 a piece, but those are a one time expense, so I didn't add them into my cost analysis.

So the grand total of my purchase was 15.02 (without tax). Divide that by the 30 gallons of soap it will make and the final cost is roughly 50 cents a gallon! You can't beat that! I was spending at least $9 a month on laundry soap, but not anymore!

Here is the recipe for the homemade laundry soap that I will use.

1 bar of laundry soap (Fels Naptha)
1/2 C. Borax
1 C. Washing Soda

Grate the bar of laundry soap and melt on stop with just a little bit of water. Fill 5 gallon bucket 1/2 full with hot water. Add soap, borax, and soda. Mix well. Fill bucket with more hot water (enough to fill the 5 gallon bucket). Stir. Use 1/2 C. of the soap per load. Makes 5 gallons.

No comments: