Thursday, June 03, 2010

Another School Year Has Come and Gone

Yesterday I ended my fourth school year running the Youth Improvement Program. For those of you who don't know what I do, here is a brief idea.

I run a school for local juvenile delinquents. Some students I get are in trouble with the law,
some are just in trouble at school. I get what most teachers would categorize as the "worst
of the worst." We choose to see them as misunderstood and seek to help them become not
only better students, but well rounded members of the community.

This past school year was our biggest yet. We had 39 students come through our doors, and of those 39, 35 were successfully readmitted back into their "home" school. It was a busy and crazy year, but it was also fun. We had some "repeat" offenders, but it was great to watch how they grew and matured and took responsibility for their actions.

As we were playing "Hillbilly Golf" in the yard yesterday with all the kids we noticed a former student (let's call him T)moving into a house across the street. He came over to visit and it was great to see a success story 2 years after we had him in our program. He is working a great job. His girlfriend is a stay at home mother to their two children and they are planning their wedding. He starts school at Trine this fall and she starts Trine next week. He and his girlfriend have even taken in his younger brother and are making sure he completes his education as well. The visit from T reminded me why I do what I do.

Now it's time to take off the teacher hat and put on the criminal justice hat. I spend my summers working for Community Corrections and this summer I will be leading some juvenile work crews (hoping to score a tan as well!) as well as my normal court duties. As I sit in my quiet office, just 16 hours after the last student of this year walked out the door, I am lonely. I got used to having all 8 of the students here early asking questions or just hanging out and reading the paper.

No comments: