Sunday, June 13, 2010

Jell-O Cookies

Here is a new cookie idea I tried today. They turned out good and Ayron liked them so I think they are a "winner." I did make some "tweeks" that made it easier so I'll incorporate them below.

3 1/2 C. Flour
1 tsp. Baking Powder
3 Sticks butter (softened)
1 C. Sugar
2 pkgs. Jell-O (small packages of your favorite flavors, you could probably "mix and match")
1 Egg
1 tsp. vanilla

Sift the flour and baking powder together in a medium bowl. In a large bowl beat the butter with an electric mixer until fluffy. Slowly mix in the sugar and 1 package of the jello. Beat until incorporated. Mix in the egg and vanilla. Gradually mix in the flour mixture until completely mixed. Place dough in fridge or freezer for a couple of minutes (keeps the mixture from sticking to your hands).

Shape dough into small balls and place 1" apart on cookie sheet (I recommend you line the pans with parchment paper). Then place the cookie sheet in the freezer for another couple of minutes. Use a clean glass to flatten the dough balls into circles (I actually dipped the glass in flour to prevent sticking). Use the 2nd package of Jell-o to "sprinkle" the cookies. Then place in a 400 degree oven for 8 to 10 minutes.

I am assuming you could mix and match your two favorite flavors of Jell-O. I stuck with strawberry and Ayron liked them. I was certain that shaping the balls would dye my hands red, but it didn't. I was surprised!

I discovered that chilling the dough just made the process a lot easier.

No comments: