Monday, September 20, 2010

The ABC

Every morning I pass the construction site for what will become The ABC, The Auburn Birthing Center. The ABC is being built by the Auburn OB GYN which consists of Dr. Chaffee, Dr. Weghorst, Midwife Stephanie Vanderhorst, and Midwife Michelle Hileman. The new "home" is on CR 40A, just past Smith Farms Manor.

I have nothing but love for the medical staff at Auburn OB GYN. I have been utilizing Stephanie Vanderhorst's skills for years. She helped us conceive TJ, and was there for every minute of TJ's crazy birth (If you don't know that story, trust me, he came out sideways, elbow first, umbilical cord in his hand, I stopped breathing, the whole ten yards). Stephanie jokes that TJ caused her to grow her first grey hair. He was birth 565 (or something close to that) and the first one where she used vacuum extraction, and it failed! Dr. Chaffee was called in, and without those two, I would not have been able to deliver TJ. They were able to keep me calm during the whole process, even when they were probably freaking out on the inside. Stephanie has been with us through the conception and first tri-mester of Baby #2. The point being, I thoroughly trust these people!

I was ecstatic to learn that the birthing center will be open long before I am due. So I am faced with a problem....do I deliver at the hospital or at ABC? I know each have their pros and cons, but I think it boils down to the fact that I am scared to give birth again. TJ's delivery was traumatic, to say the least. Don't get me wrong, I am thankful he is here and extremely thankful to all the OB staff (as they were all crowded in my tiny delivery room) at DeKalb, but I am afraid this delivery will be like that last. I know, I know, "every baby is different." So with that in mind, what is to say this birth won't be worse?

I have been weighing the pros and cons of each and I think what it comes down to is fear over two subjects: pain management and after care.

I have very little pain meds with TJ. I started on some through my IV, but had them turn it off after only 30 minutes because I didn't like the feeling. I felt like I wasn't in control of my body and I couldn't feel what my body was doing. I know that is the point of pain meds, but I had studied the Bradley Birthing Method and for my own peace of mind, I needed to feel what my body was doing. I am afraid that this time around, I won't be strong enough to deliver without pain meds. I don't have any grand philosophical thing against pain meds, I will use them if I see necessary. But I also feel that babies who are born without the mother having pain meds are just more alert. TJ came out bright eyed (although he had given himself a lovely shiner) and I didn't have to have a giant needle in my spine! I will also admit that I am a bit afraid of a giant needle in my spine. I know, I know. I have a tattoo that runs along my spine, but that was different. That needle didn't go INTO my vertebra! I have other ways of coping with the pain. Breathing and the blessed birthing tub! (Disclaimer, the staff at Auburn OB GYN does not do underwater births, the tubs are simply there to help with labor pains). I loved the birthing tub with TJ and when asked what I want this time around, I stressed that I want a birthing tub. Luckily for me, The ABC will have tubs.

After care is also something I am curious about. Most birthing centers have you on your way home anywhere from 6 to 24 hours later. I guess not knowing how long their aftercare is, has my mind going. What about the 96 hour test? What if it's a boy? Do we take it to the doctor's office for a circumcision? TJ's jaundice didn't kick in until we got him home 3 days later and even then it was a pain to figure out why he was so sick (he didn't turn really yellow till several days after so we had no physical clue as to what was wrong).

I meet with Stephanie at the beginning of October and boy do I have a long list of questions for her. All of this "weighing of the pros and cons" might end up being a mute point. She might not consider me a good candidate for The ABC. There are just so many unknowns. I know I have a ton of time to plan, but every morning I drive past the construction site on my way to work and it gets my mind going.

No comments: