Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Moment of Reflection

Yesterday, shortly at noon, I checked the wane.com website. It's a habit of mine. I don't get time to actually watch the news, so I check the website. I learned of a fatal crash at the DeKalb County / Allen County Line. I had a feeling. I can't even describe the feeling, it was just this feeling.


On the drive home from work I passed the wrecker that was towing the SUV involved in the crash. I had to pull over for a moment. There was nothing left of the SUV. That feeling came back and I actually became physically ill. I started crying and just praying for the family. At that time, the name of the deceased had not been released. I still couldn't shake the feeling, so I just kept praying. I prayed off and on all night. Nothing glamours, just small little, "Lord, be with that family."


Right before dinner I received a text from a friend and I discovered the lady who passed was the daughter in law of my favorite teacher, Mrs. McCurdy. My heart broke. I know Mrs. McCurdy both in and out of school. Her and my father acted together in the Auburn Actors Theater and she often played his wife. She was hysterical and inspired me to become a teacher. My heart broke for her and her son. She lost her daughter in law and her son lost his wife. Their children lost their mother, parents lost their daughter.


I couldn't sleep last night, the sight of the SUV on the back of the wrecker kept haunting me. I finally realized why. We are coming up on the 4 year anniversary of Nikki's accident. I remember driving to the school to pick up my nieces and when we pulled out of the school parking lot, we passed the wrecker towing Nikki's newly compacted car. Thank God my nieces didn't realize that crumple piece of white paper was really their mom's car. I remember having this pit in my stomach. When we got the call, we didn't know if Nikki was alive or dead. We didn't know what to expect when we got to the hospital. It was a nightmare for all involved. We are lucky that four years later we still have our daughter/wife/sister/mother with us.

I don't know what caused Amy to run the stop sign, we may never know. But I am taking her accident as a wake up call to be more alert in the car. To avoid the distractions of texting and ipod surfing. I urge the rest of you to avoid those distractions as well. It's crazy to think that one minute you can be here, and the next your family is mourning.

My thoughts and prayers go out to the McCurdy family during this time. May they find peace and understanding. May the Lord provide them with comfort and words of wisdom.

No comments: