Friday, December 08, 2006

Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day

So I was feeling a bit ill yesterday and I had this feeling that I couldn't shake. I had just commented to my students about having those feelings that just don't go away when the phone rang. It was Ayron telling me that my sister-in-Law, N, had been hit by a semi. Someone ran a stop sign and a semi swerved to miss them, but his back tires hit ice and the back of the trailer took off the front of N's brand new car. I thought I was going to vomit. I left work, met Ayron and my mother-in-law, and we picked up her kids. That was the worst moment, telling the 10 and eight year old that mommy was hit by a semi. We spent the evening in the hospital in Fort Wayne. To make a long story short, she has a broken vertebra, a fracture at the base of her skull, her collar bone is broken, and three broken ribs. They are keeping her in a medically induced coma so she can rest, and they have her on a breathing machine. So far there has been no swelling in the brain, her pupils are equal and reactive and this morning she was able to wiggle her toes and fingers.

Ayron and I were talking on the drive home and he said, "Now I know how all of those people feel in those medical shows, I always thought they were over acting, but now I get it. I was so mad that the hospital was having a Christmas party while N was just laying there, injured, swollen, etc." I started thinking about his comment while I was trying to get some sleep. I found myself being mad at God. How could He? She hadn't done anything wrong! She's the one who helps people in accidents (shes a medic and firefighter) not the one that needs help. I was so angry. I still kind of am. Why her? Why someone who has three little girls? Is this God's way of trying to bring P, N's husband, back to Him? I know that God has a plan for everything, but right now I'm not seeing it. Maybe my frustration is blinding me, maybe I'm not supposed to see it.

I would like to thank Michael J and Joe for praying with Ayron last night. Michael, a big thanks for driving half way down to the hospital to see us. I'd like to apologize for my inability to make Chex Mix for Quest tonight. I was going to, but at three am, all I wanted to do was sleep. I don't know if we'll make it to Quest tonight, so if we don't, pray for N and our family.

I discovered that the accident was on the local radio's news. Here is what I pulled from their website.

(UNDATED) - Two people were injured yesterday when a tractor-trailer rig crashed into a pair of vehicles at State Road 101 and County Road 64 in DeKalb County. DeKalb County Police say 36 year old Lisa Bryant of Butler was stopped at the intersection when pulled her jeep into the path of a semi driven by 54 year old Carl King of Avilla. After striking the jeep, King's semi then went into a skid and jack knifed before it collided with a car driven by 31 year old Nicole Shull of St. Joe. Shull's car was pushed into a utility pole. She had to be freed by rescue workers. Shull was flown to Parkview Hospital with head and chest injuries. Bryant suffered a shoulder contusion while King was not injured. The crash, which took place at about 12:25, is still under investigation.

So I guess the police were able to piece together what actually happened. Is it wrong to be upset that the person who caused the accident only has a shoulder injury while Nikki is in STICU?

Still more information. People keep calling me (work people) telling me where they heard, this is what Froggy (the Auburn radio station) has on their website.

St. Joe Woman Injured in Crash Another car crash yesterday left a St. Joe woman seriously injured. It happened on S.R. 101 at C.R. 64, when a semi collided with another vehicle, flipping it onto it's side. The semi jack knifed and struck a third vehicle driven by 31 year old Nicole Shull of St. Joe, pushing her car into a utility pole. Shull was airlifted to Fort Wayne with injuries to the head and chest.

I became curious and checked out the kpcnews.com website and they have a picture, but since I don't subscribe the the paper, I can't get the picture big enough to make sense of it. I'll have to stop and by an Evening Star on the way home.

3 comments:

todd helmkamp said...

Jeremiah called us last night. We're praying with you.

Anonymous said...

I'm still praying... and Carmie... we often don't know the reason why God allows bad things to happen to good people, but I know that He is much smarter and much more gracious and loving than all of human existence put together. Whatever the reason, God's got it in control. I have asked many people who have faced difficult situations, "Are you going to let this be your downfall or your testimony?" And I have to ask myself that almost daily... it's so hard to accept the things that happen when we don't feel they are fair, but God has used many unfair situations to show his glory and reveal himself to the lost. I love yeah guys, Arma!

todd helmkamp said...

Is there an update?