Monday, September 27, 2010

Homework Help

I am currently taking an on line course (Detective and Mystery Literature) through IPFW for my license renewal. Our one big paper has me stumped. Here are the directions from the syllabus.

Monograph 7 contains a “top-ten” listing of books, movies, and TV mysteries that I have selected as among the best mysteries of all time on TV, in books, and in movies. Most items listed are not covered in the semester. The purpose of the list is to provide a reading and viewing list for those who want to sample the best of what is out there. Obviously, there are many outstanding books, movies, and TV shows not represented. I am very much interested in expanding the list to include the best 25 in each category. The purpose of this assignment is to give you a role in determining the list. Here are the steps involved.

1. Read Monograph 7 and the accompanying lists.

2. Pick a movie, TV mystery, or novel that you have seen or read, or one you would like to read or see. Note that if you choose a TV show, you must see at least three episodes. You can not use any book, movie, or TV show already on the list.

3. In a two or three page, non-research paper, argue for the inclusion of your book, movie, or TV show in an expanded best 25 list, or show why your book, movie, or TV show does not belong on the list.

4. You may talk about plot, characters, or devices used that make your selection unique. For example, the movie “Lady in the Lake,” which is included in the top 10 list, is cited for the unique viewpoint (The detective is always behind the camera). You might argue for inclusion of the TV show “Numbers” because of the unique view of mathematics as a crime-fighting tool. If you chose the TV show “Bones,” you might say you liked all the eccentric characters; then list each one with examples of their eccentricities.

5. You should include lots of examples to illustrate your reasons.

6. You may submit this assignment at any time up until the week before final exams. I suggest that it is best to do this paper at a time when assignments for other courses are light. Note that two bonus points are available for completing this assignment by the date listed in the syllabus above. This the date is November 6.

7. Also, submit to the default bulletin board a list of 5 reasons (no examples) for placing your choice on the list or not.

8. To repeat, length of assignment should be about two to three pages. No references other than the show or book itself are needed.

I have read Monograph 7 (written by my professor) and can't come up with any ideas! HELP! All of the topics I had, I don't want to use because my professor uses them as examples in Monograph 7. I don't want to have him think that I couldn't come up with my own topic, but at this moment I can't! I really want to write this paper this weekend and get it out of the way, but I am stumped. The only other mystery thing I can think of is Murder She Wrote and we all know how thrilling that show was!

I just read the line, "does not belong on the list." Hmm... I wonder if that means he wants use to take one of his examples from the list and tell why we think it shouldn't be there, or come up with our own topic then tell why it doesn't fit. The later idea seems a bit silly, so I am going to guess it's the first option.

Keep in mind this is only a 200 level class (why strain my brain to renew my license?) and my professor has told me on more than on occasion that I over think my assignments. I just can't come up with any good ideas!

No comments: