Monday, April 20, 2009

School Bus Rant

This morning I got stuck behind a school bus. I had dropped TJ off at the sitter and was driving thru the housing addition I grew up in. The school bus stopped every other driveway. What's the point? Are these kids not capable of walking?

(Crack out the cane and dentures for the following paragraph)

Back in my day, we walked to the bus stop. The bus didn't stop at the end of our driveway? If you were lucky, the bus stop was in some one's driveway. If you were really lucky, the owner of that house had a porch they'd let you use when it was raining. Back when I went to school there were only 4 bus stops in my addition. One at each corner. Are the kids to lazy to walk to the end of the street? It's not that big of an addition. A little exercise won't kill them. Is there some sort of new safety hazard I don't know about? One that warrants the students being picked up at their door? Come on now, we walked to a bus stop and we all survived!

Ok, rant done.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am totally with you on this one. The other day I got caught in a line of 25 cars behind a school bus. It is absolutely rediculous. Of course I also got caught behind a bus letting off about 40 kids at one apartment complex, and that wasn't any better. - Tyler

Kelly said...

I agree too! I walked to school from the other side of town (given, we're talking about Butler, but still!)when I was a kid and I'm no worse off.

todd helmkamp said...

Don't hate me, but the bus stopped at my driveway. :)

Natty said...

We didn't even have multiple stops around the block before Carma's day. We all had to walk over to that house kitty-corner from TJ's babysitter's house and stand in a mob along the sidewalk and in somebody's yard. (I'm sure the homeowner was *thrilled*) Rain, snow, ice, fog. No matter. And it seems like we stood there for *hours,* though the one time you didn't get there like 20 minutes early, the stinkin' bus was early and you'd miss it!

We were all dropped off at that same spot too. In fact, I never even rode a bus (other than the occasional field trip) until 5th grade. Apparently someone complained and the district decided to bus anyone having to walk more than a half mile to school. Our neighborhood was *just* over the half mile mark.

On behalf of the first 4 years I spent walking to and from (the then) East Auburn Elementary (now James R. Watson Elementary) in all kinds of weather, trying to avoid dogs (I was terrified of dogs back then) & bullies (there seemed to be no shortage of them between school & home), I was *pissed!*