Monday, June 01, 2009

Nobody told me!

I currently have two friends that are pregnant and due within a week of each other. For "L" it is her second (so she knows what to expect), for "K" it is her first.

A couple of weeks ago we had a shower for "K." They were having us tell her stories. It struck me how many people told "horror stories." Really? We we trying to prepare her or scare her? Lord knows I am just as guilty.

I was talking with L his morning about being pregnant again and all that no one tells you until you are either A: pregnant or B: your figure it out on your own. I was thinking back to 6th grade Health class and that video they show you in 4th (or 5th) grade about your "changes."

I don't mean to scare anyone, these are just things that I wish I had known. Not that knowing any of these things before conceiving would have changed my mind about wanting a child, but knowing them might have lessened my surprise!

* No one tells you will give birth twice. Once for the baby and once for all the other stuff. You are relieved that the baby is out and you can relax and then the doctor looks at you and asks you to push again. Doesn't he/she realize that the baby is already out and you are starting to relax and now they want you start pushing again?

* No one tells you about the lovely fishnet pair of boyshort style underpants you will wear after giving birth.

* No one tells you how comfortable those above mentioned underpants actually are! Sure, you'll get some waffle weave imprint on your bum, but they are actually very comfy!

* No one tells you that the hospital only uses white towels. When they helped me to the shower after having Taylor I looked at the nurse and was like, "White? Really? I just gave birth and have nastiest all over me and you want me to use a white towel?"

* No one tells you that you will leak like a stuffed pig for 3-6 weeks after giving birth. Not dealing with that monthly issue for 9 months makes you a wuss when it starts happening again!

* No one tells you that after being pregnant, your bladder will never be the same. A coughing or sneezing fit could send you running for the bathroom. I recommend having a spare pair of underpants in the diaper bag.

* No one tells you that your hair will start doing crazy things. If you've had straight hair, prepare for fuzzy or curly hair. Pregnancy and nursing hormones will cause strange changes.

* No one told me about a peribottle or how I would fall in love with it. I have two, heck I think they are still in the cupboard (They are washed so don't get all grossed out!).

* No one can truly explain how instantly in love you will fall with the goopy covered alien looking thing you just gave birth to.

* No one will tell you about the nights you will stay awake because the baby is sleeping in your arms and you just don't want to put the baby down.

* No one will tell you about how excited a BM can be (for the baby) after days of not having one.

* No one will tell you about the strength you find within when you stop questioning yourself and just let your maternal instincts take over.

* No one will tell you (unless you have a GREAT nurse mid-wife like I did) about how your body will do it's own thing during delivery and how it's better to just let your body go. Your body knows what to do.

* No one tells you how your will fall in love all over again with your husband when you see him hold his first born for the first time.

* No one tells you how silly you look in the middle of the grocery store when you are narrating everything you are doing in cartoon voice to keep your baby happy. No one tells you that you really won't care how silly you look because to your child you are wonderful.

* No one tells you that the person you least expected to help you through labor will become your rock! Thanks Natalee for hanging in there with me! I am still surprised that you didn't pass out!

These are just some things that no one told me. Feel free to add your own to my list.

No comments: