Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Stolen Purse

I woke up this morning to see a police officer talking to a couple who lives across the street. All of the truck doors were open and I told Ayron, "I think someone broke into Meyer's truck."

We piled in the car and got ready to take TJ to the sitter and noticed that some things from the glove box were sitting on the passenger seat. Then I realized that I left my purse in the car last night. I panicked. (Let me backtrack. When I got home yesterday TJ was fussing and I just grabbed him and came into the house. I forgot to go back out and get my purse or lock the car).

I ran across the street and Mr. Meyers met me and we talked. He said he became suspicious when he found a set of keys and small pouch on his wife's car (my keys and my pouch of medicine). I called the police and Officer Fuller came out to my house. He had my keys and my pouch.

When Mr. Meyers gave him the keys, the officer took them out to BP and scanned my reward points tag and discovered they belonged to me. He knew who we were because he went to school with Ayron.

After talking with the police officer, we discovered another car a couple houses down had been broken into as well. I then talked to another neighbor and had them check their car and it was apparent someone had gone through it. We weren't the only one, but we did lose the most. They think it happened between 2 - 4am. The crazy thing is our neighborhood is FULL or barking dogs who go psycho is a leaf moves, yet none of them barked last night.

We immediately called the credit card company and had that card closed. Turns out they used the card at Speedway, McDonalds, the Angola Meijer, a Marathon gas station, and attempted to use it at Mejier on Lima road (by that time we had cancelled the card). We called Speedway and they pulled a tape (who really buys gas at 4:30am?) and the police are reviewing it. They are also reviewing a tape from McDonalds and attempting to get a tape from the Marathon gas station.

We went to the bank and had the checking account closed and found out that they didn't attempt to use my debit card, THANK GOD! The new account is set up and all is taken care of.

Basically, they got away with my library card and $100 in cash. It's just a pain because I spent all morning at the BMV and the social security office, etc.

As I was driving Ayron out to work we witnessed an accident. A driver lost control turning (it was raining) and went up over the sidewalk and down into a ditch. When I gave the 911 dispatcher my name she laughed and asked, "Do you have a police fetish today?" She recognized my name from earlier.

I have to keep reminding myself that I am only out $100. I am still just so mad at myself. I also feel violated. I have my keys, I have my health, my child, my family, etc. but the fact that it happened up and down the street right under our nose and no one heard a thing. I am sitting here with the house all locked up and I keep thinking, "Is that truck driving too slow? Have I seen those people before?" I know that I can't do that, it will only drive me crazy, but I still feel violated.

I hope the videos give the police a license plate number. I don't expect to get the $100 back, but I want justice. Here is what really gets me. My neighbor is an avid hunter and had just come back from target practice last night. He had several shot guns and hand guns in his truck along with ammunition. They didn't touch that, but they took his pocket knife from his center console. They were obviously after cash, and I had it.

No comments: