Monday, June 22, 2009

Plenty of Notice

I require plenty of notice, especially when it comes to work issues. I have a family and several other outside (of work) commitments. My boss is a single guy (lives with girlfriend) who can pick up and go with the drop of a hat. I can't do that. He has, once again, dropped a bomb on me with all of like 1 1/2 notice. He has signed me up for training in Elkhart. It's a week long training. I am going to have to explain to him tomorrow that I cannot go for several reasons.

A.) Short notice
B.) Only one car in our household and if I take it to Elkart, how will Ayron get around?
C.) With Ayron's crazy work schedule, who would take care of TJ?
D.) I don't believe in this training. I don't believe in the effectiveness of the program. I think it is a program the state created to make themselves feel good, but I have yet to see it work. Having this feeling, makes it hard to be excited about going to this training.

So how do I approach with subject with my boss? I plan on asking him if we can meet and I am going to tell him the following: In order for me to attend training I need AT LEAST a month notice. If Ayron is out of town or has an in town auction, I will be unavailable. I will try to remember to up date my schedule on the officer calendar so that he is aware of my schedule. It is very difficult to plan time for me to be away from Auburn due to my other commitments. I would also appreciate being asked if I would like to attend training. I have several things due to state that week and would rather have the time in my office to proof read the final drafts and collect official signatures.

Any advice?

1 comment:

todd helmkamp said...

I think all of your reasons (except the last one; although it may be unpleasant and stupid, the fact that you don't want to go isn't really relevant to the needing more notice thing) are valid points to bring up with your boss. He's a relatively reasonable human, and I think he'll see your side of things.