Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Babymania

Let me first say that we are NOT pregnant, I am just chubby! Now that I have clarified that point, let me move on. I do have several friends who are pregnant and one couple who will soon be adopting (I am so freaking happy for Nathan and Emily!!!!!!!)

Ayron and I have been discussing the thought of another child. This past summer my ovaries were tingling very hard, but the birth of three kids to friends of ours calmed them down. I was able to smoosh on the babies and hand them back once they had pooped themselves or after they had puked on me (Claire and Gage).

The ovaries are back in the tingle mode and it kind of sucks. It has made us have several conversations about when is the right time to start trying for #2. We had to use medicine to conceive Taylor (glucophage is actually a diabetic drug with the side effect of causing regular ovulation. Doesn't increase the risk of multiples, just helps you actually ovulate on schedule) and that took 3 months (that is the average time people are on the medicine before they conceive).

So we have been talking. What is a good age gap between children? Natalee and I are 7 1/2 years apart. I know that I was an unplanned pregnancy, my mother had a copper IUD. That caused some worry during her pregnancy. At one point they thought I would be down syndrome and who knows what else. But 26 years later, here I sit. Ayron and Phil are 8 years apart. JoEllen was married to Phil's dad and had Phil. Phil's father was killed in an automobile accident and then she married Tom (Ayron's dad). We both agree that 7 1/2 years is too long of an age gap between children. But what is a good age gap?

Ideally, I would like to have TJ a little more independent. He has grown so much in the past two weeks, but I would like to tackle potty training. Two kids in diapers scares me. Those suckers are amazingly expensive! Then comes the issue of space in our house. Ideally I'd like to get the backroom re-done so we can move the living room to that room, then move the office to what is now the living room. Then we can make that tiny room into another nursery. Ideally, if we had two boys at some point, bunk beds could be used in TJ's room now.

But age gap wise, what is a good gap? I think that my sister and I fought so much. In just the past couple years she has started to view me as an adult and less like the annoying little sister (which I NEVER was :) ). Ayron and his brother can finally hang out as friends.

No comments: