Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Destruction Day 1

We officially moved out of our house yesterday morning. I had to laugh because 3 years ago (almost to the day) we moved out of my in-laws house and into our first home and now we are moving back in with my in-laws.

I decided to stop by the house on my way home to just see what had been done. I didn't know what to expect, but I was blown away. We do have a Reeves Construction sign in our yard, so that means that all the nosey elderly neighbors came by at least twice to see what was going on. We have a large dumpster occupying our driveway and a construction trailer in the front yard. All of this I expected.

They gutted my house like a fish! I have a toilet in my living room. My brother in law thought it would be funny to sit it right where the recliner normal sits, he was right, it cracked me up. They tore up all the carpet and low and behold, we have really ugly 1950's tile that runs throughout the whole house. They tore out one whole bathroom wall, and half of the other. Took down my shower doors and ripped up the flooring. It looks really different, but knowing it will all be fixed soon is great.

Here is the kicker. It wouldn't be happening to anyone else but me. I just got off the phone with Tom (my contractor and father in law). Before we did any digging into the slab we had a guy come and mark the water lines. He marked them and we all thought that Tom's assumption was right. We assumed we would have to hack hammer up a large portion of the slab, fix the pipe, pour new cement, wait for it to cure, put in the walls, etc. Well, this morning Tom and Phil (my brother in law) started tearing up the concrete only to figure out that the guy had marked the lines wrong and we really didn't need to take up the slab to fix the broken pipe. So this whole remodel could have only taken a week, but since the moron marked the lines wrong, and we dug into cement, we are back at a 2 week process. I had to laugh, this would only happen to us. I was so excited when Tom told me, "Hey, the problem isn't where we thought, it will be a much faster and easier fix." Then he paused. I said, "Ok, just tell me." He said, "Too bad we already cut into the cement and tore up the floor only to find out we didn't have to do that." Bah Humbug!

I am going to take some pictures of our recently destroyed house tonight. It's kind of cool to be apart of the remodel from start to finish. It is great to know that the mold is finally out of my house and my new carpet is on its way!

No comments: