Wednesday, December 08, 2010

Time to Rant

I read a friends facebook status the other day that talked about how she was sick of hearing people complain about what they didn't have. It didn't hit home until a recent conversation I had with an individual.

This individual was complaining about a lack of "cost of living" increase in her husbands pay for the 2011 year. I quickly said, "I haven't had a raise in 4 years, so I don't really see where you are coming from." She quickly got defensive and I just let the conversation drop.

The more I think about it the more upset I get. Shouldn't she be happy that both she and her husband (has a NICE, cushy, high paying job) have jobs? She doesn't have to work, she chooses to so that she has something to do on a daily basis. They just took a nice 2 week long vacation and are taking a cruise in June. The live in a nice neighborhood, drive new cars, and their children want for nothing. Shouldn't she be happy that she has that much? I think the reason I get so frustrated with her is because she was raised in a different social class and currently still is in a different social/financial class (of this I am not jealous, I truly think I am more grounded and "normal") and she just can't see things from another perspective. She has never had to budget, save up for something, wait for it to go on sale, etc.

I know that I am just as guilty of this, but I am trying to get that under control. I am thankful for what I have. Could we use some more comforts in our life? Some would argue yes, others would argue no. I am grateful to have a full time job with benefits that I love (most days). Would it be nice if Ayron had a full time job with a consistent pay check, sure. We are finding ways to make ends meet, so it's ok. Would it be great to be able to take a vacation, heck yes. But we find ways to make do with what we have (date night, close attractions, etc).

So this holiday season, stop focusing on what it is that you DON'T have and start looking at what you DO have. Do you have a roof over your head? Do you get to eat at least twice a day? Do you have a coat? Boots? Warm clothing? Do you have family that loves you? Why focus on the things you don't have, when you can look at the ways you have been blessed.

No comments: