Tuesday, February 08, 2011

Funeral Schmunearl

I went to a funeral viewing last evening and was reminded of how much I dislike funeral homes. I think it's a great business to go into because people will always need those services, but I just don't like them. Never have, never will.


On the way home Ayron and I got to talking about funerals and all that goes with it. I know that my mom wants cremated and I know where her ashes are to go. I know my dad used to joke around about having a clear topped casket that had a keg attached at the end. I know my sister wants a casket made by some priest group (can't remember where) and a GIANT batch of perfection salad. I have finally decided what I want......NOT A FUNERAL! I want a party. Cremate me, put me in a jar and place me next to the punch bowl. I have no clue where I want my ashes spread, but all I know is, no stuffy funeral homes please!


Ayron and I got to talking about funerals and agreed that the funniest funeral every was my grandfathers. Grandpa Eaton was an avid motorcycle guy. He passed away shortly before Thanksgiving in 2001. Normally, motorcycle riders winterize their bikes beginning of November. All of his friends de-winterized their bikes and rode them to the funeral. I have never seen so many leather clad people wearing chaps in one location before. It was AWESOME! To the people who were shocked to see such a sight, I say, you obviously didn't know Grandpa because he I know he LOVED it. We had a motorcycle lead procession to the cemetery and I remember we all refused to get out of the car until there was a break in the Purdue vs. Michigan State football game. To the people who found this offensive, I again say, you obviously didn't know my grandpa. Now that was a funeral.

So while I don't know where I want my ashes spread, I know that I want a party. None of those posters full of old photographs. No crying or Kleenex. Just a big old party full of chocolate, punch, and some chex mix!

No comments: