Thursday, November 16, 2006

Fed Up

I have decided that I am fed up with the traditional form of education. It obviously doesn't work for some students. Those students get sent to me because they are "trouble makers." Case and point. I had court today, and enrolled a new student to begin my program tomorrow. He is 13 and highly intelligent. He gets into trouble because he is bored. He admitted it. Why is the school system not challenging these students? I often wonder if the school, as a whole, would produce better students if everyone was allowed to work at their own pace. How many "troubled" students would graduate early because they were allowed to work ahead? I don't believe my students are bad, they are not challenged enough, so they challenge. I understand the difficulty teachers face. Up to seven classes a day, with at least 25 students per class, that adds up (175 to be exact). I've been there, done the public school thing. I still don't find it hard. Assign group projects. Give several different choice to choose from. Let the students personalize their education. It takes extra time, I know it does, I've done it. But I feel the reward is better, students are happier, and happier students most often leads to better grades and more confidence. If only states would allocate more money to education instead of selling the toll road, only to build a new one around the state capital. What about our failing students and crappy schools?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm totally with you on this!

I hated school. It was sooooo boring. I would just not go to class. I would go find other things to do.

I was bored. It wasn't challenging. It was designed to strengthen the weakest link, not to provide each student with a good education.

Anonymous said...

i thought the toll road money was used to bail out the state education system. weren't all the schools paid all the back money?
i could be wrong...i don't get the newspaper any more.

but yeah, you're right...educators need to adjust to culture, not force the students to adjust to 'the way i learned back in 1954'