Thursday, November 30, 2006

Homer as Santa?

While on my morning commute I discovered that a house on CR 39 had an interesting Christmas display. Homer Simpson dressed as Santa. Now, here is why I find that repulsive. I was not allowed to watch the Simpsons growing up, and frankly, I don't feel like I missed anything by not being able to watch it. I did watch an episode in high school, but only because my psych teacher found out I had never watched it, so he made us watch the episode where the president moves in next door. To tell you the truth, I think I slept through it. I know that Christmas has become a secular holiday, but isn't dressing Homer up like Santa a bit disturbing to anyone else? Has society forgotten that much about the real reason of Christmas? I hope not.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

So dressing Santa up as Santa has more to do with Christmas?

Unknown said...

Well, if you go back to where Santa came from, Saint Nicholas, it's actually a very God honoring story.

But, we've allowed it, Santa, to become more about what we get, and not what we can give to others, or how we can reach out.

So, I guess in it's current form, Santa really doesn't have all that much to do with CHRISTmas.

Carma said...

I feel that kids need to be taught the origin of St. Nicholas and view Santa as someone who helps others, not some guy you ask for toys from. I believe that kids should be taught to give, like St. Nicholas did, not just want the latest toy.

Anonymous said...

cr 39...
what that by chance Dave and Pam's house?

todd helmkamp said...

I have one that's even worse:

Santa in a Nascar, with elves as the pit crew. I wish I were joking.

St. Joe Rd, in Ft. Wayne.

*shudder*