Friday, June 01, 2007

Going Back In Time

I have decided to do something creative for my dad's birthday present. I never know what to get him, so I decided to make something. While I'm not going to reveal what it is, I can tell you that the process allowed me to talk about, and view the past.

My Dad never talked about his dad. Grandpa was killed in a car accident at the intersection where the Wal-Mart distribution center is now (a long time ago). I knew that he was in the service, but didn't know what branch. I had never even seen a picture of him. If I brought up the subject in the past, the topic was quickly changed. Going to the cemetery this past weekend to plant flowers sparked this idea. I asked my dad to find some old pictures of his parents. I asked him about significant dates, etc. He managed to find a couple of old pictures. It is odd to see your grandpa for the first time in a photograph. To look at him, knowing he is/was your grandpa and be amazed by his dimples (that must be where my dad gets it). Turns out he was in the Navy. My favorite picture is him in his Navy hat. The back of the picture reads "Unfinished Proof: Property of Griffith Studio. Purchase Price 50 cents each."

I have fallen in love with these photos. My grandmother was gorgeous. My grandpa was handsome. These people are my grandparents. I grew up knowing my grandmother, but in a grandmother way. It is wonderful to see these photos of her when she was younger. I only wish I could have had the chance to see them together.

I had thought about scanning these photos in and making copies to use, but I think the slightly yellowed edges, and watermarks make them unique. I will make a copy for myself to keep though, but I'm going to use the originals for the project.

No comments: