Friday, January 07, 2011

Gone and Forgotten

I read an article on yahoo yesterday about things babies who are born in 2011 will never know. It made me think about things that I remember from my childhood that are no longer in existence.

Anyone remember a rotary phone? Our old church had on in the basement and I HATED that phone. It was such a pain to make the wheel circle all the way to the left then wait for it to go back to the right, etc. I remember when we got our first cordless phone at home. The pull out antena went for miles! I also remember not being able to stand by the running microwave while on the phone due to noise interferance. That could just been our gigantic and dinasour like microwave too.

Beta tapes anyone? I remember at one point we had a Beta AND VHS player. There was only one place in town that still rented BETA tapes. I don't know why, but if I wanted to rent a movie I wanted it to be a Beta tape. For some reason I preferred Beat to the VHS. I can't remember now why, but apparently when I was 5, I had my reasons.

Cassette tapes have gone by the wayside. I remember putting blank tapes in the boom box (yet another lost treasure) and taping songs off the radio. Making mixed tapes for my friends was the coolest! I found one the other day and laughed at the cruddy sound of the songs I taped from the radio. Does anyone still own AND use a walkman anymore? I remember my dad had one that was HUGE. You might as well lug around a full stero, but man was it cool to be able to listen to music while waiting at the bus stop.

Old style printer paper that had the removable side strips...oh the joys of ripping off the sides and then folding those two strips over each other to make a springy object to throw. Getting mad when you ripped the sides off too fast and ripped your paper. Oh, lets not forget the old dot matrix style printers.

Good, clean, humorous family sitcoms seem to have disappeared. I'm talking Full House, Family Matters, Doogie Houser, etc. Although as I watch these shows as an adult now, I do catch a lot of adult humor that I missed as a kid. I remember being very upset if we weren't home so that I could watching ABC's "TGIF" line up!

Why does no one write handwritten letters anyone? I know that I am guilty of this, but I also know how fun it is get a real hand written card in the "snail mail." Oh, and Christmas cards that have a typed "what we did this year" letter folded up and smooshed inside DO NOT COUNT!

Pepsi Clear, oh how I miss you! I had a craving for one the other day and it broke my heart to realize they haven't made that drink in YEARS. I remember there was one gas station on the way to Purdue that would carry the drink. I would beg my mom to stop at that gas station when we were driving to visit my sister just so I could get a Pepsi Clear.

What things do you remember that don't exsist anymore?

No comments: