Wednesday, January 12, 2011

My Creative Mind

I want to start by stating that this post is NOT intended to "diss" the Amish. In fact, I think we all could benefit from a simpler life style. I respect their culture and their beliefs.

I am taking a class about special education and just completed an assignment for class. For this assignment I had to use 2 students from my current teaching assignment and complete a "project" about them. The students I currently have are not culturally diverse nor are they disabled (2 requirements for this project). I had to get creative. I created a student and with the help of a friend (Leah) here is what we created.

Student Name: Benjamin Graber
People who can provide information on this student: Benjamin, Ben’s counselor,
Cultural background: Very limited access to “modern” world
Language considerations: Fluent in both English and German (Amish). English is spoken in the home, while some German is spoken during traditional services/ceremonies
Accommodations needed: Larger student desk that is easily accessible.
Socioeconomic considerations: Traditional Amish family; several extended family members live in the home; dad is a furniture maker; mom tends to gardens and the small siblings.
Learning style information: Written learner
Instructional considerations: If homework assignments require Internet, computer, etc, Ben will need accommodations made so he can complete the assignment.
Back story: (the back story WAS not submitted with my assignment, Leah and I created it just to amuse ourselves....we were amused). Ben lost both of his legs in the freak butter churning accident of 1999. He wanted to get the shiny red wheelchair but the community elders decided it was to ostentatious, so he was forced to get the black and blue version. Ben likes to spend his weekends racing Jacob Yoder and Jacob's miniature pony. Ben can often be heard yelling, "4 wheels are better than 4 hooves. Eat my dust Jacob Yoder!"

Let me finish this post by restating that we are in no way against the Amish. I wish I could live such a simple and religious life. This assignment was simply fueled by my need for a culturally diverse and disabled student, my lack of sleep, and the fact that I slammed a Pepsi for breakfast. This is the amount of creative genius I am capable of on 3 hours of sleep and 12 ounces of Pepsi. Please do not be offended. This was intended to make people laugh. Heck, it sent both Leah and I running for the comfort of our toilets!

No comments: