Monday, January 10, 2011

I'm an "expert?"

I will be going to court in less than an hour, this is nothing new to me, especially on Monday mornings. Juvenile court cases are done on Monday mornings in the county I work in. The court room doesn't scare me, testifying doesn't scare me, the judge doesn't scare me, mean defense attorney's don't scare me, being considered and "expert" scares me!

I was talking with the judge last week about a particular situation and he asked me to come to court and be an "expert" during that case. Really? Me? An expert? I don't view myself as an expert. I have been doing this job for 5 years now, but I don't consider myself an expert. I am only 27 years old people, how am I old enough to be an expert in anything?! I have some knowledge (thank you Indiana Prison For Women or I Paid For What if you prefer....aka: IPFW) but I am by no means an "expert." Heck, I only hold a bachelors degree! I just start going back to school to renew my license and just this past weekend decided what master's degree I wanted to work on. It just slightly frightens me that my thoughts and opinions could/will be viewed as an expert opinion!

I am an expert in some things, that I will admit. I don't mean to brag or boast, just being honest.

I am an expert at panicking. I do that very well (hence this blog post).

I am an expert at multi tasking thanks to my adult onset A.D.D. I can finish laudry, do dishes, cook dinner, help TJ remember that "E" is a letter of the alphabet, and sing along to the radio at one time.

I am an expert at tripping, especially when pregnant. In order to be considered an expert in this field, one must be able to fall gracefully and not seriously injure themselves. I have fallen so many times throughout my two pregnancies. I usually fall at work. I usually stand up and bow for the jail security cameras and hope that I gave them a good laugh. I wonder if they have a tally board somewhere in the "nest" where they keep track of my falls?

I am an expert on bugging my older sister. I have had 27 years of practice people, 27 years makes you an expert.

I am an expert at changing dirty pants (TJ's, not mine!) in odd locations.

I am an expert at deciphering song lyrics. Sadly, my husband is not. He still thinks that Gwen Stephani's song is "I ain't no Harlem fat girl" instead of "I ain't no holla back girl." I will admit that while we both know the lyrics, we still sing "I am a friend of God, I am a friend of God, I am a friend of God, he calls me FRED!"

I am an expert at butt kissing. I don't deny it. Heck, today is the first official day of "grad school" for me and I have already done one homework assignment, submitted one project, aced a quiz, and started on my lengthy online homework assignment. If that's not kissing up, I don't know what is. My sister might say that I am also an expert at kissing the butts of my parents, but she's just jealous. We all know that parents love the baby the most :) I am totally kidding (kind of).....Love you Natty! Dear Dad, insert gut chuckle here, come on...you know you wanna...don't bother trying to stifle it. Go ahead, leave a comment....you know you want to!

I am an expert at a lot of novice activities (nice oxymoron huh!) but an expert in my old field?! I guess we'll see how this morning goes, then maybe I will consider myself and expert in educating juveniles who are "at risk."

No comments: