Monday, May 16, 2011

Do You "Martha?"

Decades ago, a woman named Martha opened a small popcorn stand in Auburn. It was just a small building (some might call it a shack) with a few lights out front. While the surrounding buildings have changed (to an extent), Martha's hasn't. I remember Martha becoming ill and passing when I was in second grade. I only remember this because my second grade teacher was taking Martha to her doctors appointments.

I remember asking my dad to take me up to Martha's to get some popcorn. At the time I just wanted to see what the hype was about. I wasn't impressed. It was popcorn. Couldn't I just make this at home by throwing some Orville Redenbacher in the microwave? The atmosphere and charm were lost on me. I was 9 so forgive me. Fast forward about 17 years.




Last summer Ayron, TJ, and I began biking up town at least 2 evenings a week (they are open Wednesday through Saturday) to get some popcorn. The stand is now ran by Jack and Ruth Randinelli (with help from their daughter, Kim. Kim was Ayron's band teacher in high school). They are the perfect grandparent type. They know EVERYONE and don't forget them from one season to the next either. On a nice evening you can find Ruth in the stand making her carmel corn or pouring freshly melted butter over a brown sack of popcorn. Jack can usually be found sitting outside on the bench reading a book or discussing classic cars with my husband. TJ will often ask to go visit Jack and to eat some popcorn. He loves being able to sit at the picnic table with his own bag of popcorn and bottle of water. Last summer he could often be found talking with Vince (friend of the owners) about the finer things in a then 2 year old's life.




Five days ago, we restarted the Martha's tradition with our children. While I am sure Isabella wasn't too impressed with the outting, TJ was thrilled. As soon as he heard me told Ayron that Jack and Ruth would be up town he began to beg to head up to Martha's. If you are in Auburn on a lovely summer evening, I encourage you to go buy a bag of popcorn and just sit. Watch the customers that come to the stand and how Jack, Ruth, and Kim personally greet each customer. I would much rather walk up town instead of turning on the microwave! The first time we let him have his own bottle of water. I was sick of his backwash in my bottle! (2010)Chilling at the picnic table with his own stash of popcorn. (2010)

Relaxing on the bench outside. (2010)


First trip to the stand for 2011. I can't believe how different TJ looks from the pictures from last summer. The stand isn't any wider than it looks in this picture, and it doesn't need to be any bigger! It has been open for years and will hopefully be open for many more!

No comments: