Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Crazy!!

It has been a crazy day. This blog may seem to ramble, but I am just trying to make sense of today's happenings and get everything in place for the weeks to come.

I was ecstatic last night to learn that I already had a two hour delay. I thought for sure they would cancel today. Nope, I was wrong.

I currently have 3 students in my program. After numerous telephone calls, emails, faxes, etc I am up to a total of 10 students. The new 7 aren't starting till after the holiday break, but it will be crazy. I will have 6 high schoolers (2 male, 4 female) and 4 middle schoolers (all boys!).

I had been trying to reach a family for a week about enrolling their son. Today the step father finally called me back. The student had cut up their arms. He claimed it was an accident, but the parents knew it was a cry for help. The student has been in counseling and is on anti-depressants. They rushed him to the hospital. Once the doctors were done bandaging his arm, he told his parents, "I drank bleach and mildew cleaner too." The doctors were amazed (doesn't seem to be the right word to use, but it is all I could come up with) that he hadn't started vomiting, it had been at least 40 minutes since he claimed he swallowed it. They were getting everything in place to pump his stomach when his body took over and he started to vomit on his own. He now in a treatment facility getting help. I sent some work (the facility wants school work) with mom this afternoon. I haven't even met this kid yet. I have no clue what he looks like, how he sounds, yet my heart broke when I heard the news.

I guess "Tis the season to kick out students" around here. I think I have everything in place for the rest of this week (I am off tomorrow for Monkey's 9 month check up...can you believe it...9 months!) but Friday will be crazy. Then two weeks of peace. Yeah right. I'm sure I'll get called into work. It's a crazy job, but someones got to do it right?

No comments: