Monday, December 22, 2008

-ectomy and the 9 month check up

Taylor had his nine month check up on the 18th (a week early). He is 29 3/4 inches long and a very solid 23.8 pounds. He's a chunker!!

Doc took some time looking at his front teeth. I think the gap is adorable, but doc is concerned. He mentioned something about some sort of "-ectomy." I think he assumed that with my extensive background in dentistry (sarcasm at your service) that I understood. I finally pieced it together. He thinks the gum tissue between Taylor's front teeth is too thick and fibrous. If this procedure is done, it will allow his teeth to be better position and the odds of his adult teeth not being so gaped will be better.

I was talking to Ayron about the whole thing later that day and he kind of panicked. Over 40 years ago, Kelly (would be his mother's sibling) went in for some dental work. She was 6 (I think) and she was given too much ether and passed away. Ever since then Ayron and his mother freak out when people need dental work. I don't mean to sound insensitive, but that was OVER 40 years ago. They have different practices and procedures now. They don't even have to knock TJ out to do this. Just about a 60 second deal then hold him while he cries and the bleeding stops. But Ayron freaked out, "Don't tell my mom she will be all upset." Well, welcome to 2008 (almost 2009), it has been 40 years and those mistakes aren't made anymore. I understand that losing a child to something that could have been easily prevented is traumatic, but that was OVER 40 YEARS AGO!

Anyone know a good pediatric dentist in the Auburn area who will do a consult?

3 comments:

MJ said...

Sounds like they are looking out for Taylor's best interest and you're right! Medicine has come so far and it's a much easier time of it. Recovery, the whole nine yards from what I understand. Removing soft tissue vs. bone sounds less traumatic overall and quicker healing.

In thoughts and prayers!

Anonymous said...

It's a labial frenectomy...I have a large gap between my 2 front teeth, and I have had several dentists want to do surgery on my mouth as well. The only problem I've had with my gap is my wisdom teeth were impacted and had to be cut out when I was 19. I was told if I had the frenectomy done, they could not guarantee that it would not grow back...then I'd have to have another one! Dr's have a way of scaring the daylights out of us with some of their medical terms! So good to hear Taylor is healthy and growing in the Lord! Anyway, Merry Christmas!
Blessings,
Sarah Lugibihl
(Jake's wife)

Anonymous said...

The only pediatric dentist i know of in Auburn is "Auburn Pediatric Dentistry". I have never ever heard of such a thing. I thought every baby had that gap and it just filled in once their other teeth come in and push it together. If it were my baby, i would say skip the holding him down and screaming now, and get braces later if it does end up being a problem. That's my opinion after holding down a 2 year old for stitches. It made me never want to hold down my child again if it involved inflicting pain.