Monday, December 15, 2008

Holiday Shopping and Planning

I wish I was the type of person who holiday shopped throughout the year. I am not! With three nieces, it is hard. Their tastes in ANYTHING change from minute to minute.

I usually hate holiday shopping. I have to really psych myself up to go. You see I have had some rough holidays in my lifetime. For starters, I am usually sick. Ayron and I have a joke, "It's not Christmas till Carma barfs." Yep, I start the holiday's off with a bang! I lost my grandfather around thanksgiving and his birthday is (it's still his birthday so I can't write "was") December 25th. My grandmother passed away right before Christmas my sophomore year in high school. I remember it was SO VERY COLD out and I thought the blue fuzzy seat covers at the grave site looked like Grover threw up everywhere. It's just a chaotic time of the year.

I have about 75% of the shopping done. Ayron and I are going to Ft. Wayne on Saturday to finish it up. I am actually looking forward to it! We are going to Gordmans (a new store) so that should be fun and he wants to walk around Jefferson Pointe. For those of you unfamiliar with our territory, Jefferson Pointe is an "open air" type mall. It's a bit too cold for me to want to trek around Jefferson Pointe.

Planning holiday get togethers has become a hassle too. We have to coordinate everyone's schedule. It took us 2 weeks to get this Christmas schedule planned! I think we finally have it all figured out!

Don't get me wrong, I like to see family, etc, but there is so much work involved that I wonder if I truly enjoy the season now that I am an adult.

1 comment:

Coming back fitter, faster, stronger said...

I was referred to your blog by my mom to give some insight on the "New Rule" post and I have some on this one too...

Living in the Caribbean for the last 4 Christmas/Holiday seasons (a HUGE change from Michigan and the weather you are used to), the Holidays have become increasingly LESS stressful and more magical and encompass what the season is supposed to (obviously in my opinion). I am not a religious person and there are many here who are and who are not. Both sides of the spectrum decorate their (palm) trees in the yard and around the neighborhoods with fantastic decorations and other signs of Holiday cheer. Christmas is celebrated (on St. Croix) from early December until almost February because of the Carnival/Festival villages on the island that emphasize being with loved ones and celebrating live/love/happiness/etc...

On the flip side, the States are having people trampled to death in stores and shooting each other on Black Friday to get whatever materialistic stuff they can get they're hands on.

There is no cold weather or snow here but the spirit of Christmas is more alive here (and all over the Caribbean) than I think I will ever see it in the States again. I'm glad I've experienced this to realize how meaningless all the shopping really is. I have all that I need this Holiday season...people I love in a place that I love, all eating good food, enjoying the various Holiday beverages/live music/festivals, and not getting caught up in the materialistic nonsense.

I no longer enjoy the Holiday season you mention either...but I absolutely LOVE this one and will make it my family tradition no matter where I live.

Happy Holidays!

Val