Monday, December 22, 2008

Holy Family

Ayron, Taylor and myself will be playing Joseph, Jesus, and Mary at New Hope's Christmas Eve service (6pm, come check us out! Taylor's stage debut!). We had rehearsal last night and I was a bit out of it (cold medicine). I was holding Taylor and trying to think of how Mary felt.

There Mary is, happily asleep, dreaming of good ole' Joe, when Gabe tells her that she will become pregnant. Can you imagine! I have had some whopper of a dreams, but nothing like that. Naturally, it had to be a bit overwhelming. She was a virgin about to be married. How does she explain this to Joe and her family?

Then came the donkey ride/walk. I choose to believe that she walked. Yes, walking when pregnant can suck, but imagine riding a a donkey when prego? Not happening people! Then, no hotels. Lovely, a room for two (soon to be three) at your local manger coming right up.

There were a total of 14 people in my delivery room and after 16 hours of labor your dignity goes right out the window. I can't imagine going through child birth while listening to cows chew their cud while the aroma of fresh goat poo wafts through the air. What a humble beginning for such a great man.

Then to know that you just gave birth to Jesus. How awe inspiring is that! I think I would panic at this point. Knowing that I am responsible for raising Jesus Christ! What a task at hand! Just knowing that I have TJ to raise sometimes gets me. I truly believe it does take a village (or church) to raise a child. They gain so much knowledge from so many different people who come in their lives. Wouldn't you feel bad saying, "Jesus, that was naughty. Don't bite Momma. Time out chair for you." Hello?!?! You just put your Lord and Savior in time out!

To those of you (this include Joseph and Mary) who have raised or are working on raising good children, hats off to you!

2 comments:

Natty said...

Ha-ha! That reminds me of a story I overheard a shop-keeper telling last week in Chelsea. His young daughter was recently cast as Mary in their church Christmas play. One night he told her it was time to go to bed. She retorted, "Dad! I just gave birth to your Lord and Savior. I think I should be able to go to bed whenever I want."

Cheeky, yes, but the way he told it, and couldn't keep from snickering as he did, it was more hilarious than smart-aleky. Kid had a good point, no? ;)

MJ said...

Amen!