Tuesday, February 24, 2009

How young is too young....

to start holding a child accountable for their actions? I had a 14 year old student (8th grade). We have been having problems with him from day one. I told him yesterday that one more thing and he would be done. I know that he wanted me to kick him out yesterday, but I wouldn't. I wanted him to make that decision. I told him, "You don't have to be here [he wasn't here through the courts], there is the door. If you want to leave, walk out." I made him decide if he wanted to be here or not. Yesterday he decided that he would stay.

I consulted with my on staff counselor and she said what I did (having him decide and be accountable for his own actions) was the perfect move. Others have told me the opposite. So I am wondering, is he too young?

We have to start taking responsibility for our actions at some point. He choose to act the way the did and not do his work, so why can't he be held accountable for his actions?

1 comment:

todd helmkamp said...

Luke will be 4 in May. He is already learning that there are consequences for his actions. For example, if he doesn't eat his supper, he doesn't get dessert. Guess what? If he wants dessert, he eats his supper (although sometimes he will beg and plead).

I certainly think that age 14 is old enough to take responsibility for success in school. Heck, a 3rd grader should be.